Assignment: Kinetic Theory of Matter 1
B.sc I year-Physics Paper-II (Kinetic Theory and Thermodynamics)
- What is meant by degrees of freedom of a particle? State the law of equipartition of energy. Deduce the relation between the specific heat ratio and degrees of freedom for a perfect gas.
- What is Brownian motion?
- What is Stratosphere? Explain its importance.
- Describe Andrew’s experiment on carbon dioxide. Compare its experimental curves with theoretical curves of Real gas equation.
- What are critical constants? What is Boyle temperature? Establish relations between Boyle temperature and Real gas constants.
- What is Joule-Thomson effect? Deduce an expression for the cooling in Real gas.
- Prove that ratio of temperature of inversion and critical temperature is independent of the nature of the gas.
- Discuss variation of temperature of the atmosphere with height from the earth.
- State Dalton’s law of partial pressure.
- What do you understand by the atomicity of a gas?